Many thousands of children in Cape Town between the ages 0 and 7 years of age do not attend any form of daycare or pre-school.They are incredibly vulnerable to abuse and start their primary school at a huge disadvantage without any form of pre-school education.
The government does not assist with the construction of ECD centres and will only assist an ECD with monthly grants once they satisfy health and safety requirements.
We need help to assist the courageous and tenacious principals of these schools to build clean, decent and safe buildings in which to operate an ECD.
With cherished partnerships Uthando has helped to build 4 Early Childhood Development Centres (namely, Kiddies Educare, Isiseko Educare, Thokozani Together and Iminathi Educare and Zizamele Educare) thus helping to transform the lives of thousands of children over a number of years.
Every cent of every donation goes directly into the planning and construction of the ECD.
Not 1 cent is spent on overheads or administration costs.
Plans are busy being drawn up to the replace the shacks which currently make up Masibulele Educare Centre located in Khayelitsha but we are already fundraising to start construction later this year.
- Patricia is the principal of Masibulele Educare Centre.
- The school was open in 1995 by her mother Thandi.
- Thandi still works at the school
- There are 140 children currently at the school.
- Ages range from 0-6years old.
- Patricia’s brother provides a taxi service for the kids picking them up at home and dropping them off after school.
- Patricia arrives at the school 5:20am and leaves at 6pm.The other teachers are working 9hours.
- The current structure of the school is unsafe
- The department funding has been withheld
- The school only receives 80 out of the 140 children’s school fees
- The school is struggling to pay their staff
- Previously the school was providing a healthy week planned breakfast and lunch now they are struggling to make ends meet
- There is a lack of educational equipment